How to Buy a Human Hair Wig Like an Expert-The Best Buying Guide
You're an attractive and stylish woman, and you present your best image when you step out into the world. Let us at Arison hair help you to choose a wig that will suit your look, your lifestyle, and your pocketbook.
This blog is for you, whether you're experienced in selecting and wearing wigs, or you're a beginner trying to wear a wig for the first time. Our purpose is to provide exhaustive information and ideas about how to buy a human hair wig. Read on for Arison wigs buying guide that will lead you to the perfect wig.
How to Buy Your Perfect Wig
Think of this as an education and an exercise in self-care. Whether you're experienced or a beginner, finding the perfect wig is not as simple as picking your favorite cereal from the grocery store shelf. Many considerations go into the selection process.
- Select a wig in a style you'll love. You will want to choose the length and texture of your wig. When you select a wig, you can specify an exact length from 8 inches to 32 inches. Texture is important, too. Textures range from straight to curly and from silky to heavy.
- Choose a wig that flatters the shape of your face. One of the most important factors in choosing your wig style is the shape of your face. The choices seem endless, but you'll find just the right style to flatter your face. Enhance your good looks with the perfect wig style.
- Measure your head size to get the correct capsize. Of course, the human hair in your wig is knotted onto a cap, and you'll want to make sure you select the best-fitting cap size for your head. For a secure fit, you'll measure your head and find the best size. This will ensure the comfort and security of your wig.
- Decide on the type of cap that is right for you. Did you know that there are different types of wig caps? For example, you can choose from a lace front cap, full lace cap, silk base, and more. We'll explain these types of caps and discuss their pros and cons.
- Select a hair color that complements your natural skin tone. With so many hair color choices, you might be confused about selecting the right color for your wig. Consider your natural skin tone to make the best choice. Is your skin tone naturally warm, cool, or neutral? We'll help you find the right wig colors to set off your natural beauty.
- Choose a wig that requires adhesive or one that can be worn glue-less. Some wigs require glue or adhesive for a secure fit. Other wigs can be worn without glue. Which type of wig do you want to work with when you're getting ready to step out into the world? We'll help you consider the pros and cons of glue wigs and glue-less wigs.
- Consider how your new wig will fit into your overall lifestyle. When you're selecting the most flattering wig that you'll fall in love with, it's important to consider your lifestyle. Find a wig style and cap type that best fits your lifestyle. You can go from glamorous to casual with the right wigs.
- Find a wig that will fit within your budget. At Arison hair, we respect your right to get the best quality wigs at prices that won't overload your budget resources. Let us work with you to ensure your satisfaction with beautiful wigs at reasonable prices.
Read on for a step-by-step wigs buying guide to lead you through these considerations.
Step-by-Step Guide: How to choose a Human Hair Wig
As we said, to select a wig, you need to consider many steps in the selection process. In this wigs buying guide, we'll break it down and find out what goes into each step of the process.
Step 1 - Choose your style, texture and wig density
We give you options for short, medium, and long wigs. with your choice of exact lengths. For example, you might select a cute, short bob wig in your choice of 8", 10", 12", or 14". At the other extreme, you might choose a romantic, flowing body wave wig in your choice of 10", 12", 14", 16", 18", 20", 22", 24", or 26". You'll specify your exact choice of length in inches when you select a wig that's perfect for you.
Texture is another consideration when you select a wig. We offer four basic texture categories with several choices that fall under each category.
- Choose from silky straight, natural straight, and yaki straight Remy hair. You might love the look of glistening, shimmering, silky straight hair. It looks good in a bob or in a long style that extends below the shoulders. Natural straight hair has a texture that's slightly coarser than silky straight, and it easily maintains it's shape when you style it. On the other hand, you might prefer the ethnic look of kinky straight or yaki straight hair.
- Choose from light yaki or heavy yaki. Do you love the natural, relaxed look of yaki hair? Within this category, you can choose from light or heavy textures. If you love the look of chemically relaxed Afro-Caribbean hair, then a light or heavy yaki texture might be your best choice.
- Choose from deep curly or kinky curly. Are you looking for a curly style? We offer options ranging from deep curly styles that are fluffy and light to kinky curly wigs that exemplify the Afro hair texture of American black women.
- Choose from natural wave, deep wave, water wave, body wave, or loose wave. Maybe you're looking for a style that's not straight but also not super-curly. Go for a wave wig. A body wave or loose wave is relaxed and flowing. A water wave is a bit curlier but still hangs and moves. A natural wave wig is almost straight but retains a curvy shape.
Wig density should be decided after considering the length and texture that you require. Wig density refers to the fullness and thickness of the hair. Wigs are available with different hair densities. range from extra light 80% density to from super-heavy density of 250% The hair density you select will help you to style the hair in the ways you want to. If you want to perm or style the hair into waves buy lower density wigs. On the other hand for a straight and thick look buy heavy density wigs.
- For a natural and medium thickness, you can buy wigs with 130% hair density.
- For a thicker and fuller look, 150% Medium/Heavy density wig is a good option.
- If you are an artist who does frequent stage shows, then it is recommended to buy a 180% Heavy density wig.
Step 2 - Determine your face shape and find your flattering wig style
When you're considering buying a human hair wig, think about the shape of your face. Aside from looking in the mirror, you can solicit the advice of a friend or family member to describe your face shape. You can easily do some research online to see photos of hairstyles that suit the shape of your face.
Select a wig that can be styled with your face shape in mind. Here are some suggestions.
Wig Styles for an Oval Face
Many hairstyles suit oval faces, so this is a fairly easy face shape to style for. If your oval face tends to be long, you might want to consider styles for a long face too. The following styles look good on oval faces.
- Long layers falling from a center part
- Wavy, shoulder-length hair
- A straight, sleek lob (ends at the collar bone)
- Full fringe bangs
- Layered bob - shorter, layered style in straight, waves, or curls
- Avoid heavy bangs or all-one-length styles
Wig Styles for a Round Face
If your face is round, you'll want to wear hairstyles that elongate your face. Longer hair that hangs below your chin is a good option for you. Short styles with extra height on top will help to elongate your face, too.
- Long hair worn sleek and straight
- Long waves falling from a center part
- Short or long bob with bangs swept over to the side
- Long hair with layers
- Avoid blunt bangs and curly styles that stop at the chin
Wig Styles for a Long Face
For long faces, hairstyles that add width are most flattering. Avoid long, sleek styles that tend to over-emphasize the long shape of your face. Adding bangs to your style is a good option for a long face.
- Short or medium-long bob with brow-length, blunt bangs
- Short or medium-long bob with side-swept bangs
- Chin-length bob with full-fringe bangs
- Long, full, bouncy curls falling from a center part
- Long hair with feathering around the face
- Avoid long, straight, sleek styles with a center part and no bangs
Wig Styles for a Diamond-Shaped Face
If your face is diamond-shaped, you'll want to add width in the forehead area and at the chin. Choose a hairstyle that does not add volume at the cheekbone area. Keep the style narrow at the cheekbone.
- Straight bangs to broaden the top of the face
- Sleek styling at the cheekbone area
- Tucked-behind-the-ears styles
- Avoid fullness at the cheekbones
Wig Styles for a Heart-Shaped Face
A heart-shaped face is wider at the top and narrow at the chin. Avoid styles that emphasize width at the top of your face and narrowness at the chin level.
- Long bangs swept to the side
- Crescent-shaped, wispy bangs
- A long lob falling from a center part
- A deep side part with shoulder-length waves
- Avoid blunt, straight-across bangs
Wig Styles for a Square-Shaped Face
A square face has a strong, angular jawline. If you have a square face, it means that your face width and length are approximately equal. Many celebrities have square faces, and they play up the advantages of having a sculpted chin and prominent cheekbones.
- Long, layered style with fringe around the face (with highlights or ombre color)
- Shag-type layers with whispy, see-through bangs
- Side part with long, side-swept bangs
- Styles with layers, bangs, and texture to soften the angular shape of your face
- Avoid styles that create width at the jawline
Step 3 - Find your capsize
Use a fabric measuring tape to get an exact measurement in inches. Start at the front hairline in the center of your forehead. Extend the measuring tape behind your ear to the nape of your neck. Continue around your head, behind the other ear, to the center of your front hairline, How many inches do you see on the measuring tape? This number will give you the circumference of your head.
Based on your head circumference measurement, select the right size cap your wig.
- Circumference 20-21" = Petite
- Circumference 21.5" - Petite/Average
- Circumference 21.5" = Average
- Circumference 22.25" = Average/Large
- Circumference 23" = Large
Hint - You might want to ask a friend to measure your head to ensure an accurate measurement. Be sure your friend follows the measuring instructions above.
Step 4 - Choose a cap type
You'll want to select a cap type that best suits your personal needs. A wig cap ensures the comfort and security of your wig. When your wig is secure and not slipping, it gives you more peace of mind. A wig cap also protects your natural hair from damage.
Additionally, you'll want to decide if you plan to use glue or adhesive to hold your wig securely in place. This fact will help you determine the type of cap you'll need.
Five types of caps are available for wigs. Each has its own advantages.
- Lace Front Wig: A front lace wig features lace mesh at the front hairline. The mesh is in natural skin color, and it becomes invisible when applied to your hairline. Because you will not see the mesh, the look is one of natural hair growth at the hairline. With most lace front wigs, the lace extends from temple to temple. One advantage is that you can style your wig with the hair swept back away from your face, and it will look completely natural. Other than the front lace area, the cap is made from comfortable, stretchy material. Some lace front wigs require tape or glue, but some do not.
- Full Lace Wig: As the name says, a full lace wig is one where the entire cap is made of lace mesh. Human hair is sewn into the lace mesh that covers your entire head, including the back. With a full lace cap, you can wear your wig in a huge variety of styles, including ponytail or other upswept styles. Adhesive or glue should be used to avoid slippage.
- 360 Lace Wig: The term "360" refers to a lace headband that wraps around your head, starting at your front hairline and extending around to the nape of your neck. It has adjustable hooks in the back for a secure fit without glue. Human hair is sewn into the "360" lace headband. 360 lace gives you a natural, realistic hairline with any hairstyle, including a ponytail.
- Silk Top Wig: With a silk base wig cap, you will have the appearance of a natural part with a natural scalp showing. This appearance is created by the process of knotting the hair into the cap. When the human hair is knotted onto a lace cap, the knots are covered by a layer of silk. The individual strands of hair are then injected through the silk material. Because the knots are completely invisible, the effect is that the hair appears to be growing from your natural scalp. Most silk base wigs have a narrow, lace mesh front with the silk material starting about 2/10 of 1 inch from the hairline.
- HD Lace Wig: The term "HD" means "high definition" lace. Another term for HD is "Swiss lace." HD lace is invisible when it's applied to your hairline. This allows you to wear off-the-face styles with an exposed hairline that looks completely natural. HD lace has one drawback. Because it is extremely thin and fragile HD lace does not last as long as other types of lace.
Step 5 - Choose the right wig color to match your skin tone
Choose a colored wig to flattering yourself is not easy, you will have to understand wig colors and your skin tone.
To determine your skin tone, think about the type of jewelry that looks best on you. Look at yourself in a mirror while you're wearing silver earrings and necklaces. Then, switch to gold earrings and necklaces. Which tones make your face come alive in the mirror? If silver looks better on you, then you probably have cool skin tones. If the warm tone of gold jewelry brings out your best look, then you probably have warmer skin tones.
Of course, you might have a skin tone that is a combination of cool and warm. This would be identified as a neutral skin tone.
What is the natural tone of your skin? Warm skin tones have undertones of gold, mahogany, or copper. Cooler skin tones have undertones of red-brown, cool dark brown, or rich black.
Best Hair Colors for Warm Skin Tones
Choose hair colors that have warm tones to pick up the warm tones in your skin. But you don't want your hair color to exactly match your skin. If your hair color matches your skin, it will cause your facial features will disappear. The following hair colors will enhance the sunny undertones of your warm-tone skin.
- Red colors such as burgundy or wine red
- Burnt caramel with hints of red and gold
- Golden copper
- Rich brown
Best Hair Colors for Cool Skin Tones
Play up the pinky-blue undertones of your skin. Choose a hair color with cool undertones to accent your natural skin tone.
- Cool red-brown
- Dark brown
- Dark blonde with highlights
- Icy Black
Best Hair Colors for Neutral Skin Tones
Neutral skin tones reflect both warm and cool tones, creating a neutral effect. Look for rich hair colors that complement but don't exactly match your neutral skin tone.
- Mahogany brown
- Golden brown
Special Color Effects for Wigs
When you select a wig, you don't need to be confined to one color. Consider the following options for color combinations in your wig.
- Select a hair color and add a lighter shade in highlights
- Create your own unique look by mixing complimentary hair colors in your wig.
- Achieve the ombre effect where the hair is a darker color at the top and a lighter hue at the ends. Choose from 2-tone or 3-tone.
- Think of keys on a piano that provides a contrast between black and white. Piano color wigs provide a more subtle contrast between complementary shades that are sewn in to show stripes of gentle, contrasting colors.
Step 6 -Glue wig or glue-less wig?
While you're learning how to buy a human hair wig, keep in mind that you'll be able to choose between a wig that requires glue or one that is glue-less.
- Most wig styles are best worn with adhesive for security and peace of mind. A long-lasting, acrylic-based glue can maintain its hold for up to 4-6 weeks. Do your homework to find the best wig glue for your skin, and do a tiny test on your forearm to make sure you're not allergic. Be aware that wig adhesive can block the pores of your scalp and cause damage. Therefore, you should prepare your scalp with a wig glue protective treatment before you apply the adhesive.
- These wigs, such as the 360 lace wigs, have adjustable straps in the back. Other glue-less wigs are made of all-over stretch lace mesh for a secure fit. The advantage of glue-less wigs is that you can wear them for hours and then remove them easily. This prevents damage to your natural hair and results in a safer, easier process.
Step 7 - Consider your lifestyle
When you think about how to choose a wig, the most basic priority will be your lifestyle. Are you a party girl who needs to project a glamorous appearance, a professional boss-lady who needs to project a confident and assured image or a working soccer mom who needs to look stylish as you race through your busy day? Take your lifestyle into consideration when you select a wig that will be perfect for you.
- When and where will you wear your wig?
- How much time do you have for wig maintenance?
- How much time and effort do you want to spend when you're getting ready to go out?
- What is the overall result you want from wearing your perfect wig?
Step 8 - Decide your budget and buy a reasonably priced wig
No wigs buying guide would be complete without considering your budget. How much money can you realistically afford to spend on your perfect wigs? Here are some ideas to consider.
- Lace front wigs tend to be the most affordable. They fit within most budgets.
- Full lace wigs are a bit more expensive than lace front wigs because each strand of hair is knotted by hand.
- Silk base wigs are a bit more expensive, but they provide a more flattering, natural appearance.
- Remy human hair wigs tend to be more expensive because of the process of gathering and maintaining Remy hair
- Human hair wigs cost more than synthetic wigs, but they last longer.
When you select a wig that is perfect for your look, your lifestyle, and your budget, you're making an investment in yourself. Now that you've learned how to buy a human hair wig, you're ready to invest.
We at Arison hair are ready to help you make that investment a wise one. Looking your best can have a positive effect on your overall life satisfaction. So, select a wig that is perfect for you and have fun wearing it.
Contact us with your questions. We look forward to serving you.
Leave a comment